The Dawn of a New Kiosk
By Jon Parrish - October 21, 2015
Introducing Kiosk 3
The items below represent the majority of the significant updates recently released for the CityGro iPad Kiosk application. Please be aware that some of the changes only apply to specific uses of the kiosk application and may not be applicable to everyone.
Device Log – The kiosk device log is on the bottom of the kiosk page before you select the kiosk flow. This log displays all of the devices using your kiosk flow(s) and include the following new features:
Outdated Versions – All outdated applications are highlighted in red (including OS, App, or java script code version). When you click on the highlighted code version it will send an update out to the iPad with the new code (iPad must be online). The operating system and App will need to be updated on the device.
Battery Level – The battery level is now displayed as well as whether or not the iPad is plugged in.
Device Monitoring – We have improved the accuracy of the last Heartbeat/Download/Activity time. The heart beat allows you to detect if the device is online and is set to ping every 5 minutes. In order for there to be a heart beat, the kiosk needs to be connected for more than 5 minutes. Download is the last time the device downloaded the kiosk flow code (including kiosks settings, images, etc). Activity is the last time there was activity on the device (such as a checkin) or the kiosk pinged the server.
New action icons have been added for each device on the right side of each row:
- Pencil – Allows you to adjust the settings for that particular iPad.
- Horn – Gives you the ability to ping the device to see if it is online. When you do this, the screen on the device will shake so that you can see what device you are connected to (useful for multiple devices).
- Wifi Signal – Allows you to test the internet strength of the device. When clicked, it will download a 3 megabyte file and display the speed of the transfer. Anything less than 1 mbit can cause kiosk issues with the functionality.
- Page – Clicking this icon will update the device with the latest kiosk operating system and push any updates made on the kiosk flow. New versions of the kiosk operating system are released regularly and may be pushed automatically.
- Refresh – Clicking this button will push the latest kiosk flow settings (such as images, text, configuration, etc) and data to the device without interrupting a current check-in process.
- Delete – Clicking the X will delete that device from your known device list.
Page Settings – All kiosk pages now have a Page Settings screen. This screen allows you to customize the individual screens by naming the forward/back button, setting a transition time, hiding the title bar, using multiple background images, and inserting custom HTML text above or below the page. You can also set default values on the contacts, set display rules, and update the server throughout the checkin process.
Timeout – Within the kiosk flow settings you can set a timeout to reset the app after a certain period of inactivity. With this recent update you can choose whether to reset the kiosk flow without sending information to your CityGro account (we call it ‘pinging the server’) or you can choose to ‘ping the server’ with any information that was filled in and then reset the app.
Editing the Kiosk Flow by Multiple Users – When multiple users are working on the same kiosk flow, changes from one user will push live to the other user when the save button is pushed.
Optional Welcome Page – The Welcome page is no longer required for every kiosk page flow. You can now start your page flow with any page and/or remove the Welcome Page all together. Please note: One of the primary reasons for the welcome page is to look up contact information such as points, name, birthday, etc. If your kiosk flow does not look up existing contact data, each contact will be added as a new contact and existing contacts with the same identifier (phone number, email, etc) will be over-ridden.
Communication with the Server – Previously, the kiosk would communicate with the server once at the very beginning of the checkin and once at the very end (we call this ‘pinging’ the server). You can now ‘ping’ the server on any page whether starting, finishing, or just updating the contact. This would be used when sending a message in the middle of the checkin process or if you are using a flow without a Welcome Page.
Language Translations – The kiosk now supports multiple languages and is currently available in English, Swedish, and Dutch. This opens the door for new languages to be added as translation is done.
- Pushing Code to a Device – While pushing kiosk flow updates to your device has been available for some time now, you can now select which device you want to push the updated settings to. This allows you to make changes and test them on the device of your choice.
- Loading Pages – You can now place a Loading Page anywhere in the page flow. You can also set filters on pages to only have them show if certain criteria is met.
- Default Field Values – You can now set default field values by the page flow or by the device. This is ideal if you have multiple locations using the same page flow or multiple page flows within the same location and want to identify which contacts came from which device. One common use is to set a default group for anyone who signs up at a specific event.
- Loading Times – One of the largest benefits of this update is the increase in speed and decrease in page loading times. These speed increases were targeted specifically at loading the kiosk application on devices in locations with less than ideal internet connection.
- Kiosk Application Settings – The settings screen on the kiosk application has an updated user interface. This screen can be accessed by drawing a circle over the Welcome Page (must start and stop in the same place) or by holding the logo in the bottom left corner of the Welcome Page for 10 seconds.
- Remote Testing – Within the setting page on the kiosk is the ability to send trouble shooting data to CityGro to learn more about issues you may be facing.
Questions? Call us at 888-605-4429